On Twitter @swyermeritt Ford battery electric vehicles (BEV) sales amounted to 6,940 units, 18% more than a year ago and about 4.5% of the brand’s total volume (a year ago, it was 3.9%.
In August 2023, Ford sold nearly 7,000 electric cars in the United States, which is a big achievement for the company. The Ford Mustang Mach-E did especially well that month.
Overall, the total sales of Ford and Lincoln cars in the United States went up by 2 percent compared to the previous year, reaching 161,300 cars in August. So far this year, they’ve sold a total of 1,342,507 cars, which is 8.5 percent more than last year.
Here are the sales numbers for August and for the year so far:
- Ford sold 154,711 cars in August (2.0% increase) and 1,290,199 cars for the year (9.2% increase).
- Lincoln sold 6,589 cars in August (3.1% increase) and 52,308 cars for the year (7.0% decrease).
- In total, they sold 161,300 cars in August (2.0% increase) and 1,342,507 cars for the year (8.5% increase).
Electric car sales also went up, reaching one of their highest points. In August, Ford sold 6,940 electric cars in the U.S., which is 18 percent more than last year. This means electric cars made up about 4.5 percent of all the cars Ford sold, up from 3.9 percent last year.
Electric car sales have been going up every month since April, so we might see new records later this year.
As for specific electric car models, the Ford Mustang Mach-E almost set a new record in August with 5,033 cars sold (the best since May 2022 with 5,179 cars). The Ford E-Transit also did well, setting a new record with 889 cars sold. However, sales of the Ford F-150 Lightning dropped by half, barely reaching 1,000 cars (more on that below).
Here’s a breakdown of Ford’s electric car sales in the U.S. for August 2023:
- Ford Mustang Mach-E: 5,033 cars (up 61% from last year)
- Ford F-150 Lightning: 1,018 cars (down 57% from last year)
- Ford E-Transit: 889 cars (up 120% from last year)
- In total, they sold 6,940 electric cars (up 18% from last year), making up 4.5% of the market.
So far this year, Ford sold nearly 39,000 electric cars in the U.S., which is 6.5 percent more than last year. These electric cars make up about 3.0 percent of all the cars Ford sold this year.
Here’s how electric car sales for the year look in 2023:
- Ford Mustang Mach-E: 23,010 cars (down 11%)
- Ford F-150 Lightning: 11,327 cars (up 66%)
- Ford E-Transit: 4,592 cars (up 17%)
- In total, they sold 38,929 electric cars (up 6.5%), making up 3.0% of the market.
For reference, in 2022, Ford sold more than double the number of electric cars, reaching 61,575 units, and they made up 3.5 percent of all Ford sales (excluding Lincoln).
Now, let’s talk about the Ford F-150 Lightning. In August, they sold only 1,018 units, which is a 57% drop compared to last year. This is the third month in a row with a decrease in sales.
Ford says this drop is because they had to shut down their production facility for six weeks to expand it and also had limited deliveries in July and August. Earlier this year, the facility was also closed for a few weeks due to a battery recall for the Ford F-150 Lightning. Ford plans to triple the production rate at this facility to reach 150,000 units per year by fall. That’s about 12,500 units per month, which we should start seeing later this year or in early 2024. It’s important to note that Ford recently lowered the prices of the Ford F-150 Lightning.
The Ford Mustang Mach-E had a great August, with 5,033 cars sold (up 61% from last year). It’s now the second most popular electric SUV in the country, just behind the Tesla Model Y. The increase in the number of available cars in stock, from 16,100 to 20,500, shows that it’s becoming easier to find one.
Production of the Ford Mustang Mach-E in Mexico slowed down a bit in August, with 7,203 cars produced. This comes after four months of making more than 10,000 cars each month. However, it’s still 48 percent more than last year. So far this year, they’ve made over 65,000 cars, which is 39 percent more than last year, even though they had a pause in production in January and February. Keep in mind that these numbers don’t include cars made in China, where the Mach-E is also produced and sold, although on a smaller scale. In 2022, they made 77,959 Ford Mustang Mach-Es in Mexico. In November 2022, Ford celebrated making the 150,000th Mach-E, and now they’ve made even more than 200,000.
Ford had plans to increase production to 210,000 cars each year for global markets by the end of 2023. However, there have been some challenges, and it’s unclear if they can still reach that goal.
Lastly, sales of the Ford E-Transit van did really well in August, with 889 vans sold (up 120% from last year), setting a new record. So far this year, they’ve sold 4,592 vans (up 17% from last year). Ford plans to make more E-Transit vans at the Kansas City Assembly Plant.
Unfortunately, Ford doesn’t give us sales data for other plug-in models like the Ford Escape PHEV, and they haven’t shared numbers for Lincoln’s PHEV models.
- Tesla’s FSD v12 for the first time will use an “end-to-end” neural network approach to autonomous driving
- NEWS: A massive @Tesla Supercharger has opened in Quartzsite, Arizona over 84 charging stalls
- Leapmotor unveiled its first model for global markets, the mid-to-large-size SUV C10 | Leapmotor C10
- Breaking: Tesla wins most charging station tenders in USA, costs 50% lower
- BYD unveiling a full spectrum of 6 stunning NEVs | BYD NEVs